To GTFO or to Not GTFO

Monday, August 17, 2009

I talked to Poncho about our options as far as "hey we have nothing we have to be doing right now so let's do something interesting dammit" and decided to go over the longest shot first: moving super far away. We eliminated a lot of options and then listed the remaining options in order of preference:




I guess that's not too terribly far off.

I really really really really really really really really really want to go to Japan. At first it was at the bottom of Poncho's list until I showed him all of the stuff on teaching in Japan. I know it's expensive to live in the cities but we're frugal to begin with so that shouldn't be a huge deal.

Needless to say, the very thought sends the otaku in me into a frenzy. I would do this in a heartbeat.

But there are a few pretty big cons: 1) I have yet to find any way to contract a teaching job for less than a year. Poncho is not willing to go for a whole year; 2) The companies I've looked at insist that married couples be responsible for separate apartments, and only say they'll try to put them near each other. Excuse me?! That's epically lame.

Dream dead? Maybe.


New Zealand is looking more and more promising. Everyone I knew who lived there moved to the States, but I do still have a cousin once removed there, so we wouldn't be entirely on our own. And we've had friends move there temporarily before. It's still on the maybe list.


Alaska is also still a maybe. It's cold! As a rule, I hate being cold. But it's also... neat. We visited once. And Poncho recently watched a documentary on gang activity in Anchorage, which for some reason made him even more interested. Should I worry?


We worry too much about the exchange rate in Europe, and have no clue where to even begin trying to get jobs. I guess that makes it a no.

To review:
Japan - oh please please please
New Zealand - maybe
Alaska - maybe
Europe - non, nine, nie

The suspense is kind of killing me.

4 comments:

L said...

I vote New Zealand. Nate and I want to move to Australia.

A said...

Are those about as close as California and Oklahoma? :D

Elizabeth said...

Don't even consider becoming a teacher in Japan without doing a little research into what the actual working conditions are. I recommend this series, which is both hilarious and horrifying:
http://classic.dryang.org/japanese/teacher1.html

Ethan said...

This was ggreat to read

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...