Planning a Trip to Japan: Part 7

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Part 7: Stuff I Wanna Do
So we're staying in Asakusa, which is in the north-east part of Tokyo. It's old school Tokyo, or Edo, if you will. When we were first planning this trip we imagined going to more places than "just Tokyo," but the more I looked into it the more Tokyo seemed to have everything I wanted to do and more. There's no way all of this will fit into one week.
  1. Asakusa - Besides the fact that that's where we'll be sleeping every night, Asakusa has some neat temples and shrines, some neat bazaar-style shopping streets, and the Asahi beer tower.
  2. Ueno Park - Great spot for cherry blossom viewing (hanami), has a couple of temples, and a zoo with pandas!
  3. Ameyoko - A crazy-looking shopping street south of Asakusa.
  4. Akihabara (AKA Akiba) - Known as "electric town" because of all of its electronics stores, it has also become the center for otakus (anime nerds).
  5. Roppongi - A popular nightlife area with many foreigner-friendly bars. I hear you have to watch out for Nigerians though.
  6. Meiji Jingu - A huge shrine right in the middle of Tokyo, and right next to Harajuku.
  7. Harajuku - Lots of shopping and entertainment. This is where young people hang out in weird clothes.
  8. Shibuya - A popular shopping and entertainment district. This is probably where people think of when they think "Tokyo." Hachikō is at Shibuya Station, and I must get my picture with him.
  9. Tsukiji Fish Market - I'm pretty sure the sushi here is fresh, seeing as it's still wriggling around in the buckets. Yum.
  10. Ginza - This seems to be the Beverly Hills of Tokyo. I actually probably won't go here, but I wanted to include it.
  11. Imperial Palace - It's... the imperial palace. That's cool, right? I think it's cool. There's remains of the old one there too. I hope they sell three foot tall margaritas like the one in Las Vegas.
  12. Tokyo Tower -  It's like the Eiffel Tower except taller and better because it's in Japan instead of France.
  13. Ghibli Museum - Just west of Tokyo, a whole museum dedicated to Miyazaki Hayao's films (you know, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, etc...). It looks like a fun place, and they show short movies that you can only see ther. You have to buy tickets in advance.
  14. Sanrio Puroland - Hello Kitty has her own theme park? Are you kidding me?? I don't think I'll be able to convince Poncho to take me this time though.
  15. Tokyo Disney - I'm not going to be able to afford it this time, but someday I will go. Preferably for free. Magically.
  16. Onsen - You can also visit an onsen, or hot spring. We have a small one in our hotel.
  17. Kamakura -  Just south of Tokyo is Japan's old capitol, Kamakura. It boasts plenty of shrines and scenic hikes. I hope to be able to see the beach, the giant Buddha, and get a glimpse of Mount Fuji.
Also, if I find a vending machine that sells panties, I'm totally buying some.

Yeah, I think we'll be plenty occupied.


Parts 1 & 2: Deciding When to Go and Buying a Plane Ticket
Parts 3 & 4: Trains?! and Deciding Where to Stay
Parts 5 & 6: What to Pack and To Do Between Now and Then
Part 7: Stuff I Wanna Do
Part 8: Links, Links, and Links

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...