Part 8: Links, Links, and LinksAs I stated at the start of this week, I've collected many, many links during my planning of this trip. Discarding repeats and not-useful things, these are a few of my favorite links.
General Travel Sites
- Trip Advisor - Always check here before you book a hotel.
- Wikitravel - Has nice, clear lists, and gives directions to the places it recommends.
- Lonely Planet
- loc.alize.us - Pictures from places.
- Safety @ World Nomads - Information on safety where you're traveling.
- Chowhounds - "For Those Who Love to Eat" [read: me]
General Japan Sites
- Japan Guide - My go-to site for most information. The forums are also helpful.
- Planet Tokyo
- Tokyo Essentials
- Japan National Tourist Organization
- Bento.com - FOOD!
- Welcome Inn Reservation Center - Best selection of Japanese accommodations I've seen. I booked my hotel through them.
- Japanese Guest Houses - A nice index of traditional Japanese accommodations. Most can be found on WIRC.
- Gaijin House Japan - Specializing in cheap places for tourists to sleep in Japan.
- Hostel World - Specializing in cheap places for tourists to sleep anywhere.
- Japan Rail Pass - Also info on the six sub-companies and SUICA cards.
- Hyperdia - Put in your starting point and destination, and receive route and price.
Things to See
- Phrases for Travelers
- If You're Really Interested in Learning Japanese
- Aniki - Flash cards
- Shakespear Japanese Lessons
- JReK - Japanese sentence search.
- Digital Dialects - Flash games.
- Free Language
- e Language School
- WWWJDIC - Dictionary
- Learning and/or Deciphering Japanese Characters
Random Articles I Like
- How to use a Japanese Inn
- A Beginner's Guide to Cherry Blossom Viewing
- 100 Yen Shop - Japanese dollar store?! Woo!
- Hacking Japan: Inside Tokyo for Less than New York
- 8 Tips that will Save You Money in Tokyo
- Tokyo on a Shoestring
- Japanese Survival Information
- Things to Know Before Visiting Japan
Parts 1 & 2: Deciding When to Go and Buying a Plane Ticket
Parts 3 & 4: Trains?! and Deciding Where to Stay
Parts 5 & 6: What to Pack and To Do Between Now and Then
Part 7: Stuff I Wanna Do
Part 8: Links, Links, and Links